Monday, May 23, 2011

Our Obligation to Share Our Story

Life gets busy fast... or as that one insurance commercial quips, "Life comes at you fast."

Alicia and I have welcomed with open arms, and we love it. Most of our days are spent in a somewhat sluggish fashion that reminds most people of zombies. Still, we have smiles on our faces so we are happy zombies. Happy zombies with a beautiful son.

Ask anybody who has had a conversation with me and they will say that my ability to recall certain.. oh wait one second... let me think... oh yeah... WORDS, has decreased considerably. I might not even be fluent in American English anymore. It's probably closer to a dialect of Tired Dad.

Recently, I was having a conversation with my small group and we talked about the importance of sharing what God has taught us through our life story. One of us mentioned that they didn't want to sound like they were bragging or had life figured out, and so they seldom shared God-stories or stories of personal growth outside of their close friend circle. They didn't want to come across as spiritually pompous so they celebrated the truth to themselves or with a few others.

As the conversation wore on we (or maybe just myself) came to the conclusion that we need to share how God's growing us, or what he is teaching us with others. There are verses all over the New Testament about 'one another.' We are called to love, encourage, help, admonish, bless one another because of God's work in our lives. So whether that means a facebook status, a conversation over dinner, in your group, at work, or on your blog, I think we need to be sharing the growth, life lessons going on inside of us.

Which brings me back to the busyness of my new role as Dad. I'm embarrassed to say that its been a month since my last post. I have had different things happen in my life that I will write a note to myself to share with others on this blog. Those post-its are collecting dust on my desk. I know my first responsibility is to minister to Alicia and my son Zeke, but I need to do a better job of sharing what is going on in my life, with others. It is what God has called each of us to do.
Not so that we can sound more spiritually fit, but so we can strengthen each other in our service to God.

I'd love to hear what God is revealing/teaching you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment