Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Brian Kelly, Money, and Priorities

This Christmas season families have gathered together and have begun warm conversations about this year's advent conspiracy. No, I am not talking about the Advent Conspiracy or Kids Against Hunger that we are doing here at Parkside. I am talking about the Advent of Brian Kelly going to Notre Dame. Is it a done deal yet? Who Knows.

This isn't a knock on Brian Kelly blog, or a knock on all of us for being so captivated by the whole coaching situation. I have been checking my twitter constantly to see if C. Trent Rosecrans has any new info or if Brian Kelly himself has announced anything on his twitter page. I don't want Kelly to go, because I like Kelly and I don't like Notre Dame. Still, that is all beside the point.

Yesterday Lance McCallister was talking on WLW about why we can't blame Coach Kelly if he does end up taking the ND job. One of his arguments was who wouldn't switch jobs for twice the amount of money. Especially if its a job you have dreamed about since you were a kid. Lance is totally right and it made me think about something we all do.

I am sure most of you have heard some translation of the quote, "The end justifies the means." or "The end does not justify the means." It speaks to how we achieve our goals or how we make decisions about our career path/life direction. All too often I think people have the wrong philosophy when it comes to decision making. They erroneously think that they have to choose one thing or another. They wish they think they could spend more time with family, but their job is just to busy. They want to give back to their community, but the just don't have any free time. They hate their job, but it pays more than anything else. We are what matters most to us. Our priorities make our decisions, and our decisions make us.

I am no where near close enough to the Brian Kelly situation to be able to suggest I know what the best choice is for him, but I do have a challenge for all of us. Matthew 6:21 says, "Where your treasure is there will your heart be also." What we value most is our treasure and that treasure will be/is our priority." Are we making decisions that reflect our priorities are in line or out of line? If you want to spend more time with family, then do it even if it means you have to make sacrifices. If you want to follow your passion even if you get paid less for it then wipe the dollar signs out of your eyes and follow that passion. If you say you care about helping others then ante up even if that means giving up free time or whatever else.

If you say something is important to you, then make sure it is reflected in your decisions and your life. Because if you say something is a priority to you, but you never sacrifice for it then I have news for you. It's not a priority.

Oh and if you want to be the next UC Head Coach go ahead and turn in your resume because I think Brian Kelly is long gone...

No comments:

Post a Comment