Monday, May 3, 2010

Influence

I can still remember the day that Ace Ventura: Pet Detective came out. I wasn't allowed to see it because I wasn't 13 yet, but my Disney Adventures Magazine had an interview with Jim Carrey about the movie. It also had a step by step guide on how to do your hair exactly like Ace Ventura in the movie. You better believe I put all sorts of gel in my hair and walked around quoting the movie.At different points in our lives different people have an influence on us. One of the biggest influencers in anybody's life is their parents. Whether the parent is super involved, or completely absent they still play a huge part in shaping who their children will become. We are also influenced by our friends and people we look up to or respect.

My question for you today is who are you influenced by and who are you influencing. If you can't figure it out, ask yourself these questions:
  • Who do I go to for advice?
  • Who will I change my plans to be able to spend time with?
-or-
  • Who comes to me to see what I think about something?
  • Who asks me for advice about big decisions in their life?
After you have decided who influences you and who you influence I want you to think about one last thing. What kind of influence are they making on you and vice versa?

Being a disciple who makes disciples means that you are helping mentor other people and coming alongside them as they grow to be more like Christ. Are the people that you allow to influence you helping you to grow to be more like Christ? Are you helping others go deeper in their discipleship journey?

No comments:

Post a Comment